Design students here is some advice from the pros on what not to do or want no to have in your portfolio books.
- Do not to tell whomever you are showing your portfolio to that you "rushed through that one" If you have a piece that is not up to your standards, don't show it.
- No 3D trade show booths.
- Do not blame your instructor, the client, the printer etc. for pieces that need to improve. This is your book. Rework problems or leave those pieces out.
- There is no need for book or magazine covers unless you are planning working at a publisher.
- Design awards should not be placed next to the ‘award-winning’ piece. Listing these on your resume should be enough. Now, if you designed the award, that may be an exception.
- No typos. Proof your work over and over.